The purpose of Earth Charter activities in this area has been to influence policy making and demonstrate the relevance of the Earth Charter’s values and principles to global governance.
Along these lines, over the past years, a number of materials have been developed and activities have been undertaken. Organizations involved in policy making, global governance, and international law are encouraged to make use of the Earth Charter as a soft law document and ethical framework to help reinforce the development of new laws and policies.
Also, ECI occasionally coordinates Initiative efforts to contribute to UN and civil society policy documents and statements, such as for Rio+20.
Here are some materials in this area:
- Earth Charter and International law: Correlations between the Earth Charter and international laws. Febres, M.E.
- High Level Panel on Global Sustainability, Report to Secretary General Ban Ki Moon, United Nations.
- Enabling a Flourishing Earth, Challenges for the Green Economy, Opportunities for Global Governance. Bosselman, K., Brown, P., Mackey, B.
- Inspiration for Global Governance, the Declaration of Human Rights and the Earth Charter. Lubbers, R.; Lambooy, T. and van Genugten, W.
- The Earth Charter, a Framework for Global Governance
- In Search for Global Governance, the Significance of the Earth Charter. Bosselmann, K.
- The Policy Relevance of the Earth Charter for Europe. Bernstein, J.
- Winning the Struggle Against Global Warming. Mackey, B. & Li, S.
For more, visit the Virtual Library to access documents related to Policy and Law.