About this Programme
This training programme seeks to prepare young people with the skills and knowledge to be effective sustainability leaders and implement Earth Charter-inspired projects, contributing towards a more sustainable and peaceful world.
This programme invites participants to:
- Strengthen their knowledge and skills and reflect on values necessary for sustainability leadership.
- Deepen and expand their consciousness as they examine their role in contributing to the common good.
- Engage with inspiring, like-minded individuals committed to implementing sustainability values in their communities.
- Extend their network of practitioners and professionals from different backgrounds who are implementing sustainability leadership and ethics-based decision-making.
- Equip themselves with insights and practical tools for leadership, sustainability and ethics in relation to the Earth Charter, which they can immediately apply in their communities.
- Receive an Earth Charter International certificate as recognition of their successful completion of the “Leadership, Sustainability and Ethics” training and an invitation to become an Earth Charter Young Leader.
- Foster their confidence and courage to explore their larger role as a leader.
This programme is designed for approximately emerging young leaders who are implementing the Earth Charter vision for a more sustainable, peaceful, and just world. Participants will be between the ages of 18-35 and able to read, write, and speak in fluent English.
Over the 10-week programme, participants will engage with the theory and practice of:
- Systems Thinking
- The Earth Charter
The programme relies on an online platform as well as social media and weekly local or online actions to engage participants in the theory and practice of leadership, sustainability, and ethics. The curriculum incorporates multi-media methods, including articles, videos, written exercises, group activities, a discussion board, and social media and culminates in the development and implementation of a local workshop by each participant.
All participants from diverse regions of the world join together for an opening and closing live video call at the beginning and end of the 10 weeks, but are otherwise able to enter the online platform and complete one session per week on their own time (requiring approximately 3-4 hours per week).
Participants lead their own way through the training and are invited to engage with one another through an online discussion forum and private facebook group. Participants also support each other in a peer review process while drafting and planning workshop curricula. Facilitators, rather than providing evaluations or grades, provide support and guidance during the programme.
The application deadline is 18 June, 2018. Space is limited in order to build a sense of community, so early applications are encouraged.
To participate in the course you must:
2) Be able to demonstrate active participation in sustainability or peace/ethics actions with an organization in your community
3) Have a good command of the language the course is being held in
4) Desire to know, collaborate and communicate with other young leaders in the field of sustainability and Earth Charter International
5) Be able to share the knowledge acquired with your environment
6) Be part of a network of young people
7) Undertake a workshop for youth at the end of the program to empower other youth to participate actively in the Earth Charter.
Applicants must submit the following documents:
1) Application form (Click Apply Now above)
2) Letter of recommendation: Letter from an organization or institution you work with, stating the commitment of the applicant and his / her relevant competences. The letter should not exceed one page and include contact information of the signature. Send to email@example.com
3) Letter of commitment: a letter of commitment must be presented, signed by the applicant, indicating that he / she undertakes to complete the course in its entirety. Send to firstname.lastname@example.org
Selected applicants will pay a programme fee to participate in the training: US$50 for participants from the Global South and US$100 for participants from the Global North.
For those who find the programme fee to be a barrier to participate, we provide a limited number of PARTIAL scholarships. In turn, scholarship recipients commit to assisting with additional tasks during the programme (negotiated with the facilitators). Please find details in the general application.
2 July- 10 September 2018
Online Youth Training
Earth Charter Center for Education for Sustainable Development
Phone: +506 2205-9027
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis until 4 June, 2018.
The programme fee is US$50 for participants from the Global South and US$100 for participants from the Global North.
To apply for a PARTIAL need-based scholarship, please find details in the general application.