The Earth Charter Center for Education for Sustainable Development at the University for Peace:
- Offers educational programmes on the systemic nature, ethics, and principles of sustainability.
- Develops educational materials on sustainability, ethics, and education.
- Collects and develops best practice narratives and case studies that highlight the use of the Earth Charter in educational settings.
- Encourages the use of the Earth Charter and build capacity to incorporate the “knowledge, values, and skills needed for a sustainable way of life” in schools, colleges, and higher education programmes and activities, as well as in non-formal educational initiatives.
- Promotes an understanding of sustainability values, an appreciation of the Earth Charter vision, and fosters ethical leadership.
The UNESCO Chair on Education for Sustainable Development
The UNESCO Chair on ESD and the Earth Charter will help address the overall goal of the United Nations Decade on Education for Sustainable Development (UNDESD), which is to integrate the values inherent in sustainable development into all aspects of learning. In this sense, this UNESCO Chair will contribute in the implementation of UNESCO Resolution Reference 32C/17, which, “recognizing the Earth Charter as an important ethical framework for sustainable development”, affirms member states’ intention to “utilize the Earth Charter as an educational instrument, particularly in the framework of the United Nations Decade for Education for Sustainable Development”.
The UNESCO Chair will implement educational programmes and research activities at the intersection of education, sustainability, and ethics using the Earth Charter as a framework.
- The Center’s Priorities, Projects, and Activities
- The UNESCO Chair on ESD and the Earth Charter
- See our Guide for Using the Earth Charter in Education
- Join the Earth Charter School Network and share your experience
- Download educational resources available in our Virtual Library
- Education Experiences and Stories with the Earth Charter around the world
- The Center’s Relationship with the University for Peace
What is Education for Sustainable Development?
- Read the Journal on ESD, September 2010; 4(2) issue, dedicated to the Earth Charter.
- Find more education materials in our Virtual Library!
- Report of the World Conference of ESD, Japan 2014–end of the UN Decade of ESD
- Report on the Second UNESCO Forum on Global Citizenship Education, Paris 2015