The following are initiatives carried out by the Earth Charter Network in Mexico between April and May.
On April 15, 2017, the 63rd Legislature of the State of Oaxaca approved the signing of the Earth Charter Endorsement.
In a public statement, the Legislator Paola Gutiérrez Galindo, President of the Permanent Commission on Ecology, explained the meaning of this endorsement, among others she said:
“A few days ago, I presented to the plenary of the LXIII Legislature of the State of Oaxaca the proposal to ENDORSE THE EARTH CHARTER, which was approved in a regular session on April 15. With this initiates a process of promotion and commitment to the principles and values of sustainable development, under the premise that the changes that we want to see happening should be promoted by the citizens.
This is why I invite all sectors of the population, especially my fellow Legislators to accompany me in the promotion of a more just, sustainable and peaceful Oaxacan society. ”
The endorsement will be signed in June 2017.
On May 4, 2017, several civil society organizations based in Aguascalientes, Mexico, endorsed the Earth Charter and pledged to assume with responsibility and constancy its principles. They also pledged to use this document as a guide and ethical framework for decision-making processes, in education programmes and as an inspirational reference in our quest towards a global society that is environmentally friendly, fair, sustainable and peaceful.
These are the organizations that endorsed the Earth Charter, and their representatives:
- Instituto Mexicano de Estudios Pedagogicos y Posgrado, A.C. (IMEPP AC) firma Gina Mireya Ventura Ramírez.}
- Ecosistemica, A.C. firma María Eugenia González Díaz
- Equidad y Medio Ambiente. A. C. firma Gerardo Tenorio López.
- Colonia de Castores 10 Kaban Aguascalientes. firma Arturo Abraham Guerrero Quintero.
- Aguas con la Bici A.C. Ma. de los Ángeles Patricia Castañeda Elias.
- Natura Mundi A.C. firma Claudia R. Ramírez Rendón.
- Conciencia Ecologica de Aguascalientes, A.C. firma Cristóbal Humberto Tenorio Izazaga.
- Mujeres Pedaleando, A.C. firma María Teresa Campos Méndez.
- Guardias Ambientales de Aguascalientes, A.C. firma Luis Cesar Flores Miranda.
- Movimiento Ambiental de Aguascalientes, A.C. firma Guadalupe Castorena Hernández.
That same day, in the morning, the School “Comunidad Educativa La Tierra” also endorsed the Earth Charter in a ceremony where Mateo Castillo Ceja, Coordinator of the Earth Charter Mexican Network and a member of the EC International Council, offered a conference called: Educating for Life with the Earth Charter.
Later on, Mateo Castillo also offered another conference to students of the Autonomous University of Aguascalientes.
Find in this link a news article published in one of the local newspapers, about these endorsements and activities organized around the Earth Charter in Aguascalientes.