The ECI Secretariat has been engaging, training, and motivating youth who are working to create a better world, offering the Earth Charter as a united vision and ethical guide. In recent years, ECI has been working with and for youth in the following ways:
- Youth Projects with Strategic Partners
- Online Courses
- Earth Charter Young Leaders Programme
- Earth Charter Youth Stories
Youth Projects with Strategic Partners
ECI collaborates with strategic partners to offer trainings, events, courses, etc. A few partnerships with successful results include:
- The ¨Global Citizen- Earth Charter¨ project was organized with Amana-Key and AIESEC . The first phase consisted of an online course to train 110 young people from 33 countries on the Earth Charter. The second phase was a youth exchange, where recently-trained youth went to schools in Brazil for six weeks to spread the message of the EC to about 7,000 adolescents.
- The Euro-Arab Youth Sustainability Leadership Forum resulted from collaboration with the Shift Network, an Egyptian youth organization, and the University for Peace. The Forum ran two years in a row with the aim to promote peace and social justice through stronger cooperation at a bi-regional level by fostering intercultural dialogue and enhancing the exchange of experiences among European and Arab youth. The first phrase was a series of interactive online session with 15 European and 15 Arab youth, representing 17 different countries. In the second phase, youth formed mixed groups and developed Intercultural Youth Sustainability Projects using the Earth Charter. These youth, along with 50 others from participating youth organizations, then met in Egypt to present their projects, share and network with each other, exchange ideas, and seek potential funding to get some of the intercultural projects started. Click to read more on the First Stage or Second Stage.
- The ECI Youth Coordinator has been collaborating in educational webinars with EOTO World ‘s POP TV Sessions since 2012 reaching hundreds of viewers across the US. In the past ECI and EOTO world have served as regional facilitators for the UN Major Group for Children and Youth creating youth toolkits, running webinars, and providing capacity building opportunities for the 200 youth leaders. EOTO World is a US based non-profit organization working with human rights activists towards eradicating global poverty and promoting a culture of peace. The POP TV sessions are interactive live sessions where peace builders can gather downloadable resources, interact with facilitators through educational webinars, and more.
Find out more about our youth partners or how to become a partner here.
ECI plans and facilitates online courses in English and Spanish, training hundreds of youth on Leadership, Sustainability, and Ethics inspiring Earth Charter-related projects all over the world.
Current Youth Course offered four times a year in English and Spanish, Leadership, Sustainability, and Ethics (LSE):
- Training Schedule for 2018:
- English training January 15- March 26
- Spanish training April 9- June 18
- English training July 2- September 10
- Spanish training September 24- December 3
- Training Schedule for 2019:
- English training- 14 January- 25 March
- Spanish training- 15 April- 24 June
- English training- 15 July- 23 September
- Spanish training- 7 October- 16 December
In the past ECI, in partnership with other organizations, has offered courses including:
- E-Glo: Earth Charter Global Learning Opportunity- April- June 2008 (Hear from one of the course’s developers and facilitators.)
- E-Glo 2: Earth Charter Global Learning Opportunity- September 2009- January 2010
- E-Glo 3: Earth Charter Global Learning Opportunity- August 2010- January 2011 (Read testimonials from participants.)
- Youth Leadership, Sustainability and Ethics- August- September 2010
- Leadership, Sustainability and the Earth Charter– 2010-2011
- African Youth Leadership, Sustainability and Ethics Course- February 2012
- Arab-African Youth Forum– April 2014
If your organization may be interested in partnering to develop and run a course, please contact the email@example.com.
The Earth Charter Young Leader (ECYL) Programme is an avenue for emerging sustainability leaders to build their leadership and knowledge while supporting and expanding the Earth Charter Youth Network. ECYL are alumni from the current Leadership, Sustainability, and Ethics (LSE) online course who have been invited to stay connected with the Earth Charter Youth Network for another year. Click here to read more about the programme and to read about the current ECYL.
Mapting is an app where you can share and browse positive actions learning more about the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the Earth Charter Principles. Mapting was officially launched at an event called “Youth boosting the promotion and implementation of the SDGs” held at the United Nations Headquarters in New York on 10 November 2016. Our newest version of the app has been launched this March 2018 now with many new features and the option to download in Spanish. See Mapting brochure here.
Download the new version of Mapting on Apple’s iOS and Google’s Android now for free at www.mapting.org to join people around the world who Snap & Map everyday acts that contribute to the SDGs.
Earth Charter Youth Stories
ECI collects Earth Charter Youth stories in the form of an essay, video, performance, art work, etc. that we may publish on the ECI website, social media, or even in future print publications.
Click here to read or watch more stories of some impressive young people in the Earth Charter Youth Network.
ECI organizes webinars in English, Spanish, and French to provide youth from around the world with a virtual space where they can interact with each other to stay informed on current topics, learn relevant skills, and learn how to use the Earth Charter framework in working towards a more sustainable and peaceful world. Webinars are short, 1-2 hour sessions which include one or more short presentations and time for questions and answers with participants. Recent webinar topics have included Youth Engagement and the Earth Charter, climate justice, digital storytelling, writing grant proposals, education for sustainable development. Upcoming webinars include Volunteers Role in Promoting a Culture of Peace. Join our EC Youth facebook group for updates on upcoming trainings and webinars.
ECI has given in-person workshops on the Earth Charter’s values, principles, and themes to groups visiting the Earth Charter Center for Education for Sustainable Development at the University for Peace in Costa Rica. ECI also maintains ongoing programmes facilitating4 workshops with local elementary schools and public universities in Costa Rica and abroad with hundreds of young people every year.