Here are a few examples of past projects:
- Since 2019, York University in Canada and Avans University of Applied Science in the Netherlands have incorporated the online Leadership, Sustainability, and Ethics Online Youth Training Programme as part of their semester courses. As part of the LSE programme, these students are able to connect with an international cohort online, while at the same time implement local workshops in their universities and communities.
- As part of UNESCO’s Global Action Programme Priority Area 4 “Youth Mobilization and Empowerment,” ECI implemented trainings using the ESD Leadership Training curriculum. One training was integrated into Professor Heidy Vega García’s class, Ecocitizenship in Action with the Earth Charter (Ecociudadanía en Acción con la Carta de la Tierra) at the National University in Costa Rica. These workshops were held weekly 28 July- 17 November 2017, and were led by ECI’s Youth Projects Coordinator and 3 Earth Charter Young Leaders. Watch the video here. Another training implemented in 2017 using this curriculum was the UNESCO Youth Leadership Training on Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) for the Asia-Pacific Region from 15-17 November, 2017 in Bangkok, Thailand with Patrick Petit from Goi Peace Foundation. Thirty-six youth participants from 24 countries across the Asia-Pacific region participated in this 3-day workshop. Watch the video here.
- Retreats on the Inner Dimensions of Climate Change – Between 2016 and 2017, ECI collaborated with the Global Peace Initiative of Women (GPIW) and the Dharma Drum Mountain Buddhist Association (DDMBA) in organizing a series of retreats for young people to come together to gain a deeper understanding of the climate situation and reflect on the spiritual element of climate action.
- In 2015, Earth Charter International developed training material for the Flagship Project for Partner Network 4 of UNESCO’s Global Action Programme (GAP) on Education for Sustainable Development. During February of 2017, over one hundred young sustainability leaders gathered in Dublin, Beirut, Nairobi, and New Delhi for the implementation of regional pilot workshops, where key partners experimented with the training script and trained the first round of ESD Leaders. The ESD Leadership Training curriculum serves as a guide for organizations who work with or seek to work with young people to incorporate aspects of ESD Leadership into their present activities and trainings. It is meant to serve as a flexible resource which can be adapted to fit the local context and serve local needs.
- The “Global Citizen- Earth Charter” project was organized in partnership with Amana-Key and AIESEC, Brazil. The first phase consisted of an online course to train 110 young people from 33 countries on the Earth Charter. The second phase was a youth exchange, where recently-trained youth went to schools in Brazil for six weeks to spread the message of the EC to about 7,000 adolescents.
- The Euro-Arab Youth Sustainability Leadership Forum was part of a collaboration with the Shift Network, an Egyptian youth organization, and the University for Peace. The Forum ran two years in a row with the aim to promote peace and social justice through stronger cooperation at a bi-regional level by fostering intercultural dialogue and enhancing the exchange of experiences among European and Arab youth. The first phase was a series of interactive online session with 15 European and 15 Arab youth, representing 17 different countries. In the second phase, youth formed mixed groups and developed Intercultural Youth Sustainability Projects using the Earth Charter. These youth, along with 50 others from participating youth organizations, then met in Egypt to present their projects, share and network with each other, exchange ideas, and seek potential funding to get some of the intercultural projects started. Click to read more on the First Stage or Second Stage.
- Around 2012, ECI and EOTO World collaborated in offering educational webinars with EOTO World‘s POP TV Sessions reaching hundreds of viewers across the US. In the past ECI and EOTO World have served as regional facilitators for the UN Major Group for Children and Youth creating youth toolkits, running webinars, and providing capacity building opportunities for the 200 youth leaders. EOTO World is a US based non-profit organization working with human rights activists towards eradicating global poverty and promoting a culture of peace. The POP TV sessions are interactive live sessions where peace builders can gather downloadable resources, interact with facilitators through educational webinars, and more.
- Workshops – ECI has given in-person workshops on the Earth Charter’s values, principles, and themes to groups visiting the Earth Charter Center for Education for Sustainable Development at the University for Peace in Costa Rica. ECI also maintains ongoing programmes facilitating workshops with local elementary schools and public universities in Costa Rica and abroad with hundreds of young people every year.