The Earth Charter Center for ESD:
Located at the University for Peace campus, the EC Center for Education for Sustainable Development was created to forge new paths in sustainability, education for sustainable development, global citizenship education, and emerging leadership paradigms.
The Center coordinates a UNESCO Chair on Education for Sustainable Development with the Earth Charter with the aim of implementing educational programmes and research activities in the field of education for sustainable development specifically on the intersection of sustainability, ethics and education. These programmes place special emphasis on the importance of the values and principles of sustainability in processes of learning and decision-making. They are offered in English, Spanish and Portuguese.
These Programmes are three to five days intensive courses, offered once a year or once every two years:
|Education, Ethics and Values for Sustainability|
|Educación para la Sostenibilidad, Aprendizaje Transformador y la Carta de la Tierra|
|Sustainability, Leadership, and Decision Making: Learning from Failures and Successes|
|Innovaciones en Liderazgo: Sostenibilidad, Ética y Toma de Decisiones|
|Leadership in a changing world : Turning the vision for sustainability into a reality with a systemic view of life|
|International Law, Global Governance and the Earth Charter Principles|
|Internalización de principios y valores para la sustentabilidad|
ONLINE CERTIFICATE PROGRAMME ON ESD:
This is a six-month Programme where participants receive a Diploma Certificate from the University for Peace.
Offered in English, Spanish and Portuguese.
WORKSHOPS, SHORT COURSES AND TALKS:
The Center offers customized education activities for companies, universities or schools, in the area of sustainability, ethics and governance for sustainability, including capacity building on the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
|Fritjof Capra||Sam Crowell|
|Mark Hathaway||Herman Mulder|
|Mateo Castillo||María Vilches|
|Rose Marie Inojosa||Cristina Moreno|
|Daniella Carvalho||Rosalyn Mckeown|
|Lorna Down||Rafael Luna|
|Klauss Bosselmann||Alicia Jiménez|
For me has been mind and heart changing. I’m thinking and feeling different, the values and the way we teach need to change, and with this we can change the world”. Tatiana Martins- Brazil
The UNESCO Chair on Education for Sustainable Development
The UNESCO Chair on ESD and the Earth Charter addresses the overall goal of the Global Action Programme on ESD, which builds on the United Nations Decade on Education for Sustainable Development (UNDESD). The overarching goal is to integrate the values inherent in sustainable development into all aspects of learning. In this sense, this UNESCO Chair contributes in the implementation of UNESCO Resolution Reference 32C/17, which, “recognizing the Earth Charter as an important ethical framework for sustainable development”, affirms member states’ intention to “utilize the Earth Charter as an educational instrument”.
Objectives of the Center and the UNESCO Chair are to:
- Offer training programmes and workshops for various groups on global ethics and sustainability.
- Offer hands-on training on tools for ethics-based evaluation processes based on the Earth Charter;
- Undertake research and develop resource materials and training opportunities for educators and policymakers on education for sustainable development;
- Collaborate with universities and other education and research centers in processes to incorporate values inherent in sustainable development into all aspects of learning;
- Facilitate partnerships and knowledge sharing among stakeholders in education for sustainable development;
- Collect and develop best practice narratives and case studies on ESD that highlight the use of the Earth Charter in educational settings.
What is Education for Sustainable Development?
- See our Guide for Using the Earth Charter in Education
- Read the Journal on ESD, September 2010; 4(2) issue, dedicated to the Earth Charter.
- Find more education materials in our Virtual Library!
- Report ECI Contributions to the UN Decade of Education for Sustainable Development
- Education Experiences and Stories with the Earth Charter around the world
- Report of the World Conference of ESD, Japan 2014–end of the UN Decade of ESD
- Report on the Second UNESCO Forum on Global Citizenship Education, Paris 2015