In September 2010, the Journal of Education for Sustainable Development (JESD), published by SAGE Publications and the Centre for Environment Education – CEE India, launched a special issue in celebration of the 10th anniversary of the Earth Charter.
JESD is a forum for academics and practitioners to share and critique innovations in thinking and practice in the emerging field of Education for Sustainable Development (ESD). A peer reviewed international journal, JESD aims at global readership and is published twice a year.
This special issue can be found in the following link: http://jsd.sagepub.com
This issue’s reference is: Journal of Education for Sustainable Development. Clugston, R and Vilela, M (guest editors). Vol 4. No. 2. September 2010.
The guest editors for this special issue are: Rick Clugston, from Earth Charter US, and Mirian Vilela, ECI Executive Director. The content is as follows:
EDITORIAL: Kartikeya V. Sarabhai: An Ethical Framework for a Sustainable World
INTRODUCTION: Rick Clugston: Earth Charter Education for Sustainable Ways of Living
- Swee-Hin, (S.H. TOH) and Virginia Floresca Cawagas: Peace Education, ESD and the Earth Charter: Interconnections and Synergies
- Javier Reyes Ruiz: Dangers Facing the Earth Charter
- Noel Preston: The Why and What of ESD: A Rationale for Earth Charter Education (and Naming Some of Its Difficulties)
- Yunhua Liu and Alicia Constable: Earth Charter, ESD and Chinese Philosophies.
- Moacir Gadotti: Reorienting Education Practices towards Sustainability
- Stephen Sterling: Living in the Earth: Towards an Education for Our Time
- Edgar Miranda. Going Global in Arlington, Virginia
- Alicia Jiménez-Elizondo. CREADS, A Teacher Training Course on ESD in Costa Rica
- Rose Marie Inojosa. Promoting the Earth Charter in São Paulo’s Municipal Education System
- Linda D. Hill: Forging Inclusive Solutions: Experiential Earth Charter Education
- Mike Sheehan and Jaana Laitinen. The Earth Charter Goes Interactive and Live with e-GLO: Using New Media to Train Youth Leaders in Sustainability on Both Sides of the Digital Divide
- Sofia Savelava, Dmitry Savelau, and Marina Bakhnova Cary: Practicing ESD at School: Integration of Formal and Nonformal Education Methods Based on the Earth Charter (Belarusian Experience)
- Waverli Maia Matarazzo-Neuberger and Vicente Manzione Filho: The Methodist University Sustainable Program: Using the Earth Charter to Mainstream Sustainability
- Reiner Mathar: Practices of Integrating the Earth Charter into Education Activities in German Federal States of Hessen and Rheinland-Pfalz
- Hiro Sakurai: Make a World of Difference: Hearing Each Other, Healing the Earth
- Franklin Chamda Ngassa. Using EC-Assess to Assess a Small Biofuels Project in Honduras
- Dimity Podger, Georgia Piggot, Martin Zahradnik, Svatava Janou??ková, Ismael Velasco , Tomas Hak, Arthur Dahl, Alicia Jimenez, and Marie K. Harder. The Earth Charter and the ESDinds Initiative: Developing Indicators and Assessment Tools for Civil Society Organisations to Examine the Values Dimensions of Sustainability Projects
REVIEWS AND RESOURCES
Young People, Education and Sustainable Development: Exploring Principles, Perspectives and Praxis. Peter Blaze Corcoran and Philip Osano (editors)
Reviewed by: Brandon P. Hollingshead
The Principle of Sustainability: Transforming Law and Governance. Klaus Bosselman.
Reviewed by: Rakhyun E. Kim