“Exploring synergies between faith values and education for sustainable development” is the new publication of Earth Charter International.
Edited by Rick Clugston and Steve Holt, with a preface by Mary Evelyn Tucker, this publication provides a space for the voices of different religions and faith traditions to be shared and linked with the efforts of Education for Sustainable Development. In this issue, the points of convergence between ESD and faith values are examined, with emphasis on potential synergies between them. This effort recognizes the valuable role faith traditions play in creating a sustainable world, and in making a substantial contribution to the efforts of the United Nations Decade on Education for Sustainable Development.
This publication is the result of a collaborative effort between Earth Charter International, the University for Peace and the UNESCO San Jose office. The work was commissioned by the Education for Sustainable Development section at UNESCO in Paris and received the financial support of the Japanese Funds-in-Trust for ESD. It is the first publication of the new UNESCO Chair on Education for Sustainable Development and the Earth Charter.
This publication presents seventeen articles from Indigenous Traditions, Abrahamic and Asian Religious Traditions. Find the full text and each chapter of this publication in the following links:
- Preface: Mary Evelyn Tucker
- Introduction: Rick Clugston
- Memory, Science, and Indigenous Knowledge. Marcos Terena
- We are One Human Body. Awraham Soetendorp
- Beyond the Sabbatical: A Contemporary Jewish Response to Sustainable Development. Neil Amswych
- The Contribution of Christianity to Sustainability. Leonardo Boff
- Catholic Social Teaching and the Earth Charter. Sister Theresa Nagle
- Planet Earth: Christian Values and the Principle of Sustainability. George Browning
- Orthodox Christianity and Education for Sustainable Development. Melhem Mansour
- Sustainability in Islam. Zabariah Matali
- Sustainable Development in a Muslim Context. Muhammad Nouh
- Dialogues between Faith Values and Education for Sustainable Development Values – The Bahá’í Faith. Arthur Dahl
- Faith and Sustainable Development: An African Christian Perspective. Yakubu Joseph
- Religion and Education for Sustainable Development in the Context of Burkina Faso. Ousenni Diallo
- Sustainability, Education for Sustainable Development and the Hindu Tradition. Kartikeya V. Sarabhai
- Engaged Buddhism and Education for Sustainable Development . Toh Swee-Hin
- A Positive Role for Humanity: SGI’s Approach to Education for Sustainable Development. Nobuyuki Asai
- Education for Sustainable Development and Chinese Philosophical Traditions. Yunhua Liu and Alicia Constable
- Ecological Implications of Confucian Humanism. Tu Weiming