International Professional Development Programme
“Integrate into formal education and life-long learning the knowledge, values, and skills needed for a sustainable way of life.”
Principle 14 – Earth Charter
“Ensure inclusive and quality education for all and promote lifelong learning”
About this Programme
This unique programme is designed to provide participants with the opportunity to deepen understanding, knowledge, and skills to integrate Education for Sustainable Development and Education for Global Citizenship into classrooms, schools, and curricula. It contributes to the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals, with a specific focus on SDG 4, target SDG 4.7
Unlike most programmes in sustainability, in this one, the Earth Charter (EC) is used as a central feature of this approach. The EC provides a broad, inclusive and powerful values-based orientation that can be infused within the missions and purposes of most educational programmes. The methodologies introduced are ones that can be applied to all learning across the curriculum and across grade levels.
Click here to see the Programme’s brochure.
Click here to register.
Strengthen the knowledge, skills, and abilities of educators to implement Education for Sustainable Development and Education for Global Citizenship in their work, providing a space for dialogue and professional update on pedagogical processes of transformative learning that respond to the new guidance and educational needs in this area. The programme offers a special space to look into the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
Specifically, this Certificate Programme seeks to:
- Clarify concepts of sustainability, sustainability values and principles, sustainable lifestyles and responsible consumption; and global citizenship, as well as the synergies between them.
- Deepen and expand knowledge about new paradigms of education associated with education for sustainability, sustainable lifestyles, education for global citizenship and transformative education.
- Strengthen capacities and skills of the educators to integrate the values of sustainability in their areas of action, and develop educational programmes that promote a new awareness of our relationship with the environment and sustainable lifestyles.
- Explore methodological and transforming pedagogical tools that can be used in educational programmes.
- Motivate and inspire educators to contribute, through their areas of action, in building more coherent, harmonious, and sustainable societies.
- Stimulate the exchange of experiences between educators from different contexts and regions.
This Certificate Programme is aimed at K-12 teachers (primary and secondary educators), education professionals, and academics in different areas and levels of education.
This is an online Certificate Programme, therefore sessions follow the model of asynchronous learning, where participants have flexibility to complete the sessions when it is convenient for them. However, there will be five real time webinars, one at the beginning of the programme and one at the end of each course, to give the possibility for participants and facilitators to meet and interact more.
The Certificate Programme has a duration of five months.
It consists of four courses plus five seminars.
Each course consists of five sessions (one per week).
The minimum hourly load per participant is 124 hours, which involves 4 hours per week to read and see all the materials per session, plus the time for the seminars, and the preparation and implementation of a final project (individually or in group).
Click here to register for the 2020 Online Certificate on Education for Sustainable Development.