On Tuesday, May 24, 2011, the Earth Charter Youth continued the discussion on forming an EC Youth Task Force (see an earlier article on the formation here).
In this open online meeting the group agreed on following guiding statements for the Task Force:
Armed with unity of vision, thought and action, the Earth Charter Youth spearheads actions of change towards sustainable development in building a global community where we preserve nature and take charge of our own intellectual and social progress.
The mission of the Earth Charter Youth Task Force is to help youth everywhere to be aware of, to read, to understand, to be inspired, to endorse, to spread and to enact the vision, values and principles expressed in the Earth Charter.
The group also drafted 10 tangible goals that the EC Youth Task Force would aim to reach by the end of 2012. The ambitious goals, that are still being revised, can be found in this document.
Sign up to volunteer in the Earth Charter Youth Task Force!
Now Youth Task Force is looking for volunteers to start taking actions. The activism will focus on following areas of work:
Spreading the Earth Charter
1. Technical (website, social media sites, social networking, widgets, etc.)
2. Communications (blogging, copy-writing, graphic design, videography, newsletter)
3. Outreach (online via website and social media, and offline via posters, workshops, gatherings, events)
4. Campaigns (research on various EC-related issues, article writing, online/offline organizing/campaigning)
5. Partnership (networking, event co-organizing, content)
Networking, collaboration and action
6. Volunteer management (roles definition, recruitment, placement, engagement, regional coordinators, theme coordinators: such as climate change, poverty, etc)
7. Community management (endorsers network(ing), monthly e-meetup, etc.)
8. Projects (EC-specific, local projects, project support, documentation, campaign/competition, capacity-building)
9. Gatherings e-conferences (communications, engagement, execution, post-conference follow-up) and online courses (recruitment, engagement)
The aim is to have one coordinator for each of these 10 different working areas. Each of the areas will also welcome a group of volunteers that will support the work of the responsible coordinator.
If you are interested in volunteering for the international Earth Charter Youth Task Force:
- go through the different areas of work (above),
- choose which area you want to contribute in, and
- add your name to the list here
After June 20th each group decides who will be the group coordinator. Each coordinator will commit to serve for a one year.