Hosted by: Earth Charter International (ECI) and Soka Gakkai International (SGI)
Entries accepted: August 1–31
Eligibility: Open to everyone
Did you know that the UN Youth Climate Summit is happening soon?
UN Secretary-General António Guterres will host the UN Climate Action Summit 2019 on September 23, calling for global leaders to take action to meet the climate challenge. On September 21, as part of a weekend of events leading up to the summit, the UN Youth Climate Summit will take place at the UN Headquarters in New York. Hundreds of young activists, innovators and entrepreneurs will gather to share their unique activities to combat climate change and exchange views with world political leaders.
What is the photo competition about?
ECI and SGI have long engaged in raising awareness of sustainable development issues through their unique educational tools. One of these is a mobile app called “Mapting,” which was launched in 2016. Toward the UN Youth Climate Summit, the two organizations are holding this photo competition to highlight the issue of climate change. Applicants are encouraged to share photos of the effects of climate change and actions taken in response to it on the Mapting app and its affiliated social media. Through this competition, it is hoped that many people, particularly youth, will be inspired to take an climate change action in their local communities and areas.
How to apply?
It’s easy, only three steps!
Step 1. Think about climate change—Have you noticed any changes related to climate in your local community? What can you do about them?
Step 2. Take a photo. There are three categories:
1) The effects of climate change around you
2) Existing attempts to tackle climate change
3) A brand-new idea that addresses climate change or a meeting or discussion about it
Step 3. Post the photo on the Mapting app or your social media accounts (Facebook, Instagram or Twitter).
Posting on the Mapting app:
1) Download the Mapting app http://www.mapting.org
2) Choose “SDG13 Climate Action” and upload your photo
3) Caption your photo. Include the following information: the photo’s title, date taken, location and a brief explanation of how it is related to climate change
Posting on your social media account:
1) Upload your photo to your Facebook, Instagram or Twitter feed
2) Comment on your photo. Include the following information: the photo’s title, date taken, location and a brief explanation of how it is related to climate change
3) Tag the Mapting account (@MaptingInfo) and put #Mapting at the end of your post
If the privacy settings of your social media pages restrict viewing to friends only, we will not be able to see your photos. In this case, you are required to take the additional step of sending a message directly to the Mapting app’s social media accounts.
In order for your photo to be considered for the competition, be sure to include the information requested for inclusion in the caption and comment of your photo.
Examples of Posts
(Left: A post on the Mapting app / Right: A post on Instagram)
- One winner between the ages of 18 and 29 will be invited to the Youth Climate Summit to be held in New York on September 21, 2019 (*subject to visa eligibility).
- Selected entries will be displayed at the summit
- Solar watches and other goods will be awarded to other winners
Click here to see the winning photos!